Click for Menu

Grange over Sands

Grange or ‘Graunge’ is a French word meaning granary and the monks of nearby Cartmel Priory stored their grain here until Henry VIII dissolved England’s monasteries in 1536. Like Ulverston, Grange was only accessible by crossing the sands from Lancaster by coach or on foot. Virtually untouched by Britain’s industrial revolution the local fishing community remained quietly alone until the railway came in 1857.

 
Check Availability
Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial